Make Bread Sticks from this dough, or small loaves to eat with a meal. Or use it for an excellent taste teaser!
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup hot water (125 ml)
- 1 tbsp. sugar (15 ml)
- 1 tsp. salt (5 ml)
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil (45 ml)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeño peppers (60 ml)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, OR 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped fresh (10 ml)
- 2 tsp. dried basil, OR 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped fresh (10 ml)
- 4 1/2 cups flour (approximately) (1.125 l)
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast* (15 ml)
- butter OR margarine
- garlic salt
1. In a large bowl, combine spaghetti sauce, water, sugar, salt, oil, jalapeños, garlic, oregano and basil. This mixture will have to be warmed a little if the hot water did not do the trick. Add 2 cups (500 mL) flour and the yeast*. Mix well with an electric mixer or a wire whisk.
2. Gradually add remaining flour and work into the dough either with the dough hook on your mixer or by hand. If by hand, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and work flour into dough with a kneading motion, until dough feels soft and velvety, 8-10 minutes. You may need MORE or LESS flour.
3. Shape dough into a ball, place in a well-greased bowl, turning dough to grease the surface. Cover, put in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.
4. Punch down dough and shape as desired.
Next week we’ll give you a few variations on this recipe for bread sticks, and different ideas for serving the pizza bread.
— Jeanne Reimer
This is the fourth in our series of Arctic Appetizers. We’ll post one a week so make sure to check back regularly. Why? Because we serve these at our lodges and they are really, really good!