Seviche is a refreshing Latin American inspired appetizer. The lime juice “cooks” the fish; besides adding a wonderful flavor, it also makes it firm and opaque.
- 1 lbs.+ Mild, white-fleshed fish 500g +
- 2 cups Lime juice 500 mL
- 1 Green pepper, seeded & diced
- 3 Tomatoes, ripe, medium sized, dice (peel and seed optional)
- 1/3 cup Olive oil 75 mL
- ¼ cup White vinegar 60 mL
- 3 tbsp. Chopped fresh parsley OR 1 ½ tsp. (7 mL) dried 45 mL
- 1 tbsp. Chopped fresh oregano OR ½ tsp. (2 mL) dried 15 mL
- ¾ tsp. Salt 3 mL
- ½ tsp. Black pepper 2 mL
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce 5 mL
- 5 tbsp. White sugar 75 mL
- 1 Garlic clove, finely diced
- Cut fish in ½” (2 cm) pieces. Put it in a 1-quart (1 L) glass (NOT METAL) container and add lime juice. Mix well.
- Dice green pepper & tomatoes. Add fish along with all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate. Mix every ½ hour for 2-3 hours. It will keep for a week under refrigeration but is at its best from the 2nd-4th days.
- Serve as an appetizer on lettuce leaves or crackers.
Makes 1 quart (1 L)