- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground pork 750 g
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 125 mL
- 1/2 cup boiling water 125 mL
- 1 garlic clove, crushed 1
- 1 tbsp. Dymond Lake Seasoning (DLS)* 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp. sage 1 mL
- pinch ground cloves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- Flaky pastry (see below) for a 2-crust 9″ (23 cm) pie
1. In a large pan, combine and cook the pork, onion, water, garlic, DLS, sage and cloves over low heat, stirring constantly until the meat loses its red color and about half of the liquid has evaporated. Cover and cook for 45 minutes longer.
2. While the meat is cooking, boil, drain and mash the potatoes.
3. Mix the mashed potatoes into the meat mixture. Cool.
4. Roll out half of the pastry and line a 9″ (23 cm) pie plate. Fill with meat mixture. Roll out remaining dough and cover the meat filling. Flute crust and seal the edges. Slash the top to allow the steam to escape.
5. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 30-40 minutes longer.
FLAKY PASTRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 425 mL
- 3/4 tsp. salt 3 mL
- 1/3 lbs. lard ( 2/3 cup[150 ML]) 150g
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar 7 mL
- cold water
FLAKY PASTRY DIRECTIONS
1. To make pastry, mix the flour and salt and then cut in the lard with a patry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Separate an egg yolk into a measuring cup. Add the vinegar and whisk with a fork. Fill to the 1/3 cup (75 mL) measure with cold water.
3. Add to the flour mixture and mix with a fork until it just clings together and cleans away from the side of the bowl.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface; cut pastry to fit pie shells. If the dough is sticky, do not be afraid to sprinkle a little more flour on the rolling surface.
NOTE: Tourtiere may be frozen after baking. Reheat in 350°F (180°C} oven for 45 minutes, or until heated through.
* Dymond Lake Seasoning (DLS) – Substitute 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) salt, 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) celery salt, 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper.