We have found more complicated recipes for a wild rice casserole than this, but we have never found one that brings us more rave reviews. We try to make enough to ensure we have leftovers for Cream of Wild Rice Soup.
Marie's Wild Rice Casserole Supreme
- 1 cup uncooked whole kernel wild rice (250 mL)
- 3 cups beef broth (750 mL)
- 1/4 tsp. thyme (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp. basil (1 mL)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions (75 mL)
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced (250 g) or 10 oz. (284 mL) can
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or light cream (125 mL)
- Rinse wild rice with cold water and place in a large pot with the beef broth, thyme and basil. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for one hour, or until tender. Remove from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes to absorb the remaining liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onions, and sauté until translucent. Add the mushrooms and brown lightly.
- Combine the rice, mushroom, onion mixture and evaporated milk. Place in a greased 1 1/2-quart (1.5L) casserole dish.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes, until heated through.
You can make this a day or two ahead and refrigerate it. Just increase the oven time by 15 minutes. It freezes well, so double the recipe and freeze a batch for another day.