- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 7 cups flour (approx.)
- 2 tbsp. instant yeast
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh grated orange peel (about two oranges)
- 1 cup raisins
1. Heat the milk just until lukewarm
2. Add the tbsp. sugar, 3 cups of flour and yeast. Beat well with an electric mixer. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except the remaining flour. Add this mixture to the yeast mixture.
4. Switch to a dough hook, if you have one, and gradually add the remaining 4 cups of flour. Knead it until dough isn’t too sticky to handle. If kneading by hand, add as much flour as you can in the bowl then turn out onto a floured surface and work in the rest of the flour by hand using a kneading motion. If may take a little more or a little less flour. Just knead the dough until it feels soft but not sticky and bounces back when pressed, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Shape dough into a ball, place in a large, well-greased bowl, turning dough to grease surface. Cover it with a cloth, put it in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, an hour or longer.
6. Punch down dough. Divide in half and let rest for 10 minutes.
7. Shape each half into 18 buns. Place buns 1” apart on a well-greased baking sheet or pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
8. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 13 – 15 minutes.