This is why Helen and Marie are sometimes nowhere to be found. They are out picking blueberries so they can bring you this tantalizing tart! We like to use wild blueberries because the flavour is superior. If you use commercial berries, use the smaller ones.
North Knife Lake Blueberry Cream Cheese Tarts
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. grated orange rind
- ½ tsp. vanilla
Cream Cheese Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. grated dried lemon rind
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ cup sugar
Blueberry Topping Ingredients:
- ½ cup fresh blueberries*
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- To prepare the crust, cream the butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and cream well. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch (23 cm) pie pan.
- Bake the crust in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 15-20 minutes. It should be a nice golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on rack until completely cooled.
- To prepare the filling, cream the cream cheese well and then beat in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the filling in the cooled pie shell.
- To make the topping, combine ½ cup of blueberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining blueberries. Cool completely, then spread over the cream cheese filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to blend the flavours.
*If you are using frozen blueberries, add 2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp. of cold water, to the blueberry and sugar mixture for the last minute of cooking. Then just remove from the heat and add the rest of the berries.
To learn more about Webber’s Lodges Award-Winning wild game cookbooks please visit:
Join the discussion One Comment